A Sazerac is often made with a mix of rye whiskey and cognac. That balance of rye’s spice and cognac’s subtle sweetness is key to the cocktail. However, thanks to Johnnie Walker High Rye, you can achieve that delicious and delicate balance with a single spirit. This inspired new rye features a mouthwatering mix of rich rye spiciness and smooth vanilla, laying down the perfect base notes of flavor for the Sazerac. Once you add the absinthe rinse, simple syrup and bitters, the Johnnie Walker High Rye is really going to come alive.
Johnnie Walker High Rye Sazerac Recipe
- ¼ oz simple syrup
- 2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
- 1.5 oz Johnnie Walker High Rye
- ¼ oz absinthe/anise liqueur
- Lemon twist, for express and garnish
- Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling it with ice. Let it sit while you prepare the rest of the drink.
- In a mixing glass, add your simple syrup, bitters, Johnnie Walker High Rye, and ice. Stir.
- Discard the ice from the mixing chilled glass. Rinse it with the absinthe or anise liqueur. To rinse the glass, pour a small amount of the liqueur into the glass, swirl it around, then discard the liquid.
- Pour the whiskey mixture into the absinthe-rinsed glass.
- Gently squeeze the lemon twist by pinching the edges on both sides (yellow peel facing out towards drink, white rind of zest facing you as it is squeezed) over the drink to release its essence. Traditionalists typically discard it and rarely drop it into the glass; lay it on the rim as a garnish if you like.
Please Drink Responsibly.
JOHNNIE WALKER HIGH RYE Blended Scotch Whisky.
45% Alc/Vol. Imported by Diageo, New York, NY.