At Chicago restaurant Fat Baby Tacos, mezcal stands in for tequila and fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice, with simple syrup and club soda forming the grapefruit-soda-like component. However, the real wild card is a spicy chile piquin glass rim: dried and pulverized hot pepper with a smoky-citrusy flavor.
- 2 ounces Del Maguey Vida mezcal
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 ounces lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces club soda, to top
- Garnish: chile piquin rim
- Garnish: grapefruit quarter wheel
- Garnish: cilantro sprig
- Garnish: jalapeño round
Rim half of a rocks glass with chile piquin.
Add the mezcal, juices and syrup to a shaker with ice and shake.
Strain into the prepared glass over fresh ice.
Top with the club soda.
Garnish with a grapefruit quarter wheel, cilantro sprig and jalapeño round.