This crowd-pleasing cocktail comes from Harrison Ginsberg, who created it while working at The Dead Rabbit in New York City and uses Tullamore D.E.W. 12-year-old as its whiskey base. Bitters, ginger syrup, sherry, apple brandy and even Guinness are added to the party. All the ingredients are shaken, strained and served with a nutmeg garnish.
- 1 1/2 ounces Tullamore D.E.W. 12-year-old Irish whiskey
- 1/2 ounce Clear Creek eight-year-old apple brandy
- 1/2 ounce Guinness draught
- 1/4 ounce Barbadillo Pedro Ximénez sherry
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3/4 ounce white miso cane syrup*
- 1 teaspoon ginger syrup**
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- Garnish: grated nutmeg
Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a cocktail or coupe glass.
Garnish with grated nutmeg.
*White miso cane syrup: Place 16 oz water and 2 tbsp miso paste in a stainless steel pot, and heat at 180 degrees, stirring frequently until the paste is completely dissolved. Add 4 cups cane sugar, and increase the temp to 210 degrees, bringing to a boil and stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bottle, label and store in a refrigerator.
*Ginger syrup: Add 16 oz ginger juice and 16 oz white sugar to a stainless steel pot, and heat at 160 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool at room temperature. Strain through a cheesecloth. Bottle, label and store in a refrigerator.