Mezcal shoots to kill in Steve Schneider's smoky cocktail that’s bolstered by chile-tinged bitters and a homemade honey-pineapple syrup for balance.
- 1 3/4 ounces joven mezcal
- 3/4 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce honey-pineapple syrup*
- 3 dashes Bittermens Hellfire habanero shrub
- Garnish: pink peppercorn, ground
Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a grind of pink peppercorn.
*Honey-pineapple syrup: Add two cups honey and one cup hot water into a bottle or jar, stir or shake to combine, and set aside. In a separate container, crush together 50 pink peppercorns and a whole cubed pineapple. Add the peppercorn-pineapple mixture to the honey-hot water mixture and let stand overnight. Strain out and discard solids. Will keep, tightly covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week.