At Hell or High Water in Louisville, Ky., Doug Petry crafts drinks using local purveyors like Quills Coffee and has a deft hand with rum. Take the Mutual Friend, a showcase of Plantation five-year-old rum and Galliano ristretto espresso liqueur, given a tart, bright contrast with lime and pineapple.
This recipe originally appeared as part of "9 Great Rum Cocktails to Drink in Bars Now.”
- 1 1/2 oz Plantation Barbados five-year-old rum
- 1/2 oz Ron Zacapa 23-year-old rum
- 1/2 oz Galliano ristretto espresso liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz Fresh pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
- 1/4 oz Demerara simple syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Garnish: Pineapple leaf
- Garnish: Espresso beans
Add all the ingredients into a shaker and dry-shake (no ice).
Pour into a rocks glass filled with pebble ice.
Garnish with a pineapple leaf and 3 espresso beans.