The Michelada is Mexico’s answer to the Bloody Mary. Be ready to crank out batches of this easy-mixing concoction at your next summer barbecue or brunch. Beer is usually the sole source of alcohol in this beverage, but Tijuana Picnic’s take in New York City brings up the booziness with a splash of mezcal joven, which also adds subtle smoke and agave notes.
This recipe originally appeared as part of “5 Beer Cocktails for Your Summer Parties.”
- 1/2 oz Pelotón de la Muerte joven mezcal
- 5 dashes Cholula hot sauce
- 5 dashes Maggi seasoning sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
- 1/4 oz Agave syrup
- 1 bottle Modelo Especial lager (or another Mexican lager)
- Garnish: Chipotle salt rim
- Garnish: Lime wedge
Rim a pint glass with chipotle salt, and set aside.
Add all the ingredients except the beer into a shaker with ice and shake.
Strain into the prepared glass over ice.
Top with the beer.
Garnish with a lime wedge.
Use remaining lager to top off as needed.