“It was only a few years ago that I started to get to know the flavor profile and applications of turmeric in cocktails,” says Yael Vengroff, the beverage director of Spare Room in Los Angeles. “One day, I was playing around with the flavor triangle of carrot, turmeric and coconut and landed on the Gangster's Paradise. I wound up not using coconut in the cocktail but used passion fruit and cream to create this spin on a Colada.”
- 1 1/2 ounces Mount Gay Black Barrel rum
- 1/2 ounce Chairman’s Reserve Spiced Original rum
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce passion fruit juice
- 1/2 ounce cinnamon syrup
- 3/4 ounce heavy cream
- 1 drop turmeric oil (1 part turmeric oil and 1 part water)
- Garnish: edible orchid
- Garnish: shredded carrot
- Garnish: pineapple fronds
Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Pour into a hurricane glass and top with crushed ice.
Garnish with an edible orchid, shredded carrot and pineapple fronds.