The Amaretto Sour gets a bad rap. Too often, it’s overly sweet and relies on premade sour mix. We enlisted Portland bartender Jeffrey Morgenthaler to give us his take on the classic Amaretto Sour cocktail. What he came up with is nothing short of magic. This drink turns out frothy, sweet, sour, nutty and strong. Combining amaretto with bourbon, fresh lemon juice, rich simple syrup and egg white creates a perfectly balanced Amaretto Sour.
Watch Now: How to Make a Refreshing Amaretto Sour
- 1 1/2 ounces amaretto liqueur
- 3/4 ounce cask-proof bourbon
- 1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon rich simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce egg white, beaten
- Garnish: lemon twist
- Garnish: 2 brandied cherries
Add all ingredients into a shaker and dry-shake (no ice).
Add ice and shake again until chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with a lemon twist and 2 skewered brandied cherries.