Jim Meehan is an award-winning bartender best known for his work at the pioneering New York speakeasy bar PDT. He is also a journalist and the author of two books, "The PDT Cocktail Book" and "Meehan’s Bartender Manual." He lives in Portland, OR.
Originally from Wisconsin, Meehan moved to New York and made a name for himself at bars like the Gramercy Tavern and Pegu Club in the early 2000s. He helped to found PDT in 2007. The speakeasy bar in which patrons enter through a phone booth at neighboring Crif Dogs proved to be one of the most influential bars of its time.
In addition to his work behind the bar, Meehan has served as a contributing editor for the “Food & Wine Cocktails” book, “Mr. Boston’s Bartender Guide” and “Sommelier Journal.” He has lectured and mixed drinks at local and international trade shows and works with the acclaimed Beverage Alcohol Resource team as a cocktails and spirits educator.
Awards and Publications
- 2018 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Beverage Book
- 2018 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award for Best Cocktail/Bartending Book
- 2015 Tales of the Cocktail Spirit Award for Best Bar Mentor
- 2012 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award for Best Cocktail/Bartending Book
- 2009 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award for American Bartender of the Year
- Author of “The PDT Cocktail Book” and “Meehan’s Bartender Manual”
Meehan attended the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
Liquor.com is dedicated to good drinking and great living. We inspire, entertain and educate anyone—and everyone—interested in what happens in the glass and out of it.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.