Floyd Forbes of Floyd’s Pelican Bar in Jamaica has been doing just that, and now he’s ready for a vacation. Forbes built the bar, which is a mile off the coast of Negril and only accessible by boat, in 2001, and it became so popular he has been working nonstop ever since. To give him a break, Virgin Holidays is offering roundtrip flights and seven-nights accommodation for a bartender to take his place for a week. It’s unclear if the chosen applicant will get paid, but does it really matter?
While only your name and email are required to apply, applicants will also be responsible for these tasks, described in the job description:
- Willing to commute by boat or paddle board, even when the weather is a little too beautiful to go to work
- Eager to chat to locals and tourists alike and get to know them over a cool bottle of local beer
- Manage the music playlist to ensure chilled beats are playing at all times
- Throw the occasional fish to the resident pelicans, who gave the bar its name
- Welcome passing boats looking for a refreshment with a smile
- Able to multitask—it can be tricky to hand out beer and appreciate the glistening turquoise water at the same time
Sounds like a tough job, but someone’s got to do it.