The Five Biggest Vodka Myths

• bjorn.arvidsson.7 posted 2 months ago

Above the bottom-shelf swill, vodka is perfectly acceptable. I use Luksusowa or Monopolowa; smooth, easy drinking and $20/handle. I grew up near where they make Absolut, and that is nice, and so are the Russian vodka's like Stolichnaya ands Moskowskaya, but beyond that, IMHO, you're wasting your money. I'll spend money on something aged in different barrekls, with differing malt-bills, etc, but not on Vodka. Because it's the biggest seller in the US, a lot of people who don't like other, more flavoured liquors, like to show off and buy vodka costing more than a 15 year old single malt. Ridiculous!

• Mister Bill posted 6 months ago

Vodka is basically ethanol produced from grains. It takes on flavors from the base grain. Distilling smooths out the Vodka and can reduce it to "meh". Triple, quadruple, etc. distilled can mean different things and produce different results. Many producers distill several times while other use a fractionating still to achieve the "distillations", much like a oil refinery.

In the United States, many vodkas are made from 95% ethanol produced in large quantities by agricultural-industrial giants Archer Daniels Midland and Midwest Grain Processors. Bottlers purchase the base spirits in bulk, then filter, dilute, distribute and market the end product under a variety of vodka brand names.[

At the end of the day, it's not how it's made, what it's made from, where it's made, how much it cost, how the bottle/label looks, or what's trendy.... it's all about WHAT YOU LIKE!! Don't be swayed by marketing or bartenders trying rackup you tab, and above all don't drink a brand of vodka to look "cool."

• gothsheekgmailcom708476938 posted 8 months ago

That one that all vodka is the same BUULLLSHIIIT!!!!!! I can attest to there being different levels of vodka. When I was younger and used to drink quite often (I finally had to admit that I was developing a drinking problem and have gone from nightly to once in a blue moon thing and I cut myself off after two which since my tollerence is pretty much zero, two screwdrivers and i am pretty buzzed and dozing off at the 1-1/2 mark..
    Back then I used to drink a cheap brand called "Bartons" I actually asked a cashere joking around if they mixed the stuff with nail polish remover or acetone or terpintine or something, because it tasted and smelled like nail polish remover with acetone. She did not find the humor in that question.
    I wondered silently if the stick up her ass was removable or had it just fused with her intestines and removing it would likely kill her.
    I didn't dare ask her that, she was the type who would kick customers out without a second thought if they looked at her wrong or breathed to loudly.
    Now when I drink, I have Smirnoff or Grey Goose when I feel like really celabrateing something special., like getting married.
    I can tell a huge difference even in a shot, the Smirnoff and GG go down a lot more smoothly than the old swill, pretty sure that I was onto something and that lady knew it and had an important secret to keep.

• Richard5709 posted 10 months ago

Having once spent some time as a bartender, this is what I was told, by U.S. patient laws to be called Vodka it must be , colorless, odorless, and tasteless. This of course is not the case of imported Vodka and there is nothing better or my potent than freezing cold Stoly to make you see things.

• ljdcooksgmailcom542866841 posted 1 year ago

Absolutely true J.T!!! Im tired of people trying to tell me that all alcohol is safe(gluten free) because of the distillation!!!

• ljdcooksgmailcom542866841 posted 1 year ago

Absolutely true J.T!!! Im tired of people trying to tell me that all alcohol is safe because of the distillation!!!

• cccarresq@aol.com posted 1 year ago

Interesting point on distillation. Some cheaper vodkas (which I tend to frequent, for cost reasons) tend to cover up the lack of quality attendant to the price by stating 3-5 times distilled. I assume any vodka must be distilled at least once but what should we be looking for?

• J.T. posted 1 year ago

Another is that ALL vodka is gluten free. This is not so, just ask the TTB. If it is made from a product that contains gluten (wheat, barley, rye based), then no matter how much you distill and filter, it will always have traces of gluten in it. Some brands feel this is good enough, but to put someone who has celiac disease at risk just because you want to run a marketing campaign, I think I would rather sleep at night. One of the smoothest naturally gluten free vodkas on the market that I have tasted is Azzurre Vodka out of Vegas. Made from apples, wine grapes, and sugar cane, you can sip it on the rocks like a fine bourbon and enjoy every minute of the experience.

• justin.i.harmon posted 1 year ago

Tito's vodka is Guten free. Also no hangovers.

• MikeLM posted 1 year ago

About six or eight years ago, the Wall Street Journal had a fun, front-page article about the making of the new designer vodkas. According to the Journal, you think of a catchy name, design an idiosyncratic bottle and a flashy label, and figure out some quirky water to mix with your alcohol (I believe one brand claims to use water from melted icebergs.) Than you order your Beverage-Grade Alcohol, which is 98%+ pure alcohol... from Archer Daniels Midland, the giant agricultural-products producer. They will deliver it to you either in a railroad tank car or a tanker semi-trailer truck; your choice. You do your hocus-pocus and behold- you have a $50 vodka!