Secret Bartending Ingredient: Egg Whites

Nothing tastes as voluptuous as a drink made with fresh egg whites. The recent cocktail resurgence has introduced a new generation of bartenders and drinkers to the guts and glory of this simple yet often-feared ingredient.

The silly, unfounded and tiring commotion surrounding the use of real eggs in cocktails now borders on entertaining. (For the record, they’re safe to drink.) Just buy fresh eggs and don’t let them waste away in the fridge. Pasteurized egg whites from a jar or powdered egg whites are in no way a reasonable substitute.

Now back to the glory. You can add an egg white to any sour-style cocktail, including a Whiskey Sour. (Use the yolk for an omelet.) Shake the ingredients with ice and the passion of a three-minute-kiss and you’ll have something tantamount to a sensual explosion. Egg whites won’t change the flavor of the drink, but will give it a luxurious creaminess. The flavors will linger on your palate and you’ll feel a pleasant, silky frothiness and the snap, crackle, pop of a milk-fed bowl of Rice Krispies. I often use these two sours to entice my friends to try a cocktail with egg whites. Be brave.

White Lady

Contributed by: Allen Katz

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 oz Gin (Plymouth)
  • .5 oz Combier Triple Sec or Cointreau
  • .5 oz Fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Fresh egg white
  • Glass: Cocktail

PREPARATION:

Shake all the ingredients vigorously with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Pisco Sour

Contributed by: Allen Katz

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 oz Pisco (Barsol Quebranta)
  • 1 oz Fresh lime juice
  • .5 oz Simple syrup
  • 1 Fresh egg white
  • Garnish: 3 Gentle drops Angostura Bitters
  • Glass: Flute

PREPARATION:

Shake ingredients vigorously with ice and strain into fluted glass. Garnish with 3 gentle drops of Angostura Bitters which will settle in the foam of the cocktail. Using a straw, swirl the bitters into a simple design.

Allen Katz is the Director of Mixology & Spirits Education for Southern Wine & Spirits of New York and one of Liquor.com’s advisors.

6 Comments.

Discussion

• Lhill posted 5 years ago

It is delicious... my favorite actually!

Just one thing >>>
    before you shake with ice you have to do a hard "whip" or "dry shake" without ice in your shaker, then add ice and shake until just cold, strain into a sours or cocktail glass.

• Liquor.com posted 5 years ago

From what we can tell, licor de huevo is a mix of eggs, cream, sugar and alcohol—essentially Egg Nog. If your bottle has been opened, it's probably best to throw it out. If it's sealed, look for an expiration date, but if you can't find one, we would not recommend drinking it if it's more than about six months old.

• cole posted 5 years ago

Hi there,I have recently been given a bottle of Eggs LIQUOR,the label reads.LICOR DE HUEVO,I think it may be of Spanish Origin, does anybody know if this safe to use and does it have a shelf life?

• Joe posted 5 years ago

the foam has a meringue like quality. If you can't stand to eat Lemon Meringue pie (I do feel sorry for you) then don't put an egg white in your drink.

• Marty S. posted 6 years ago

You gotta be kidding me,
    Gary Regan says it's the bomb.
    In The Joy of Mixology, he says:
    "...you can't make a Pisco Sour or a Ramos Gin Fizz without a raw egg white."

If you have tried it, you will know it to be nothing short of delicious.

• Terry B. posted 7 years ago

Hey,what's this about putting egg-whites in a drink?! You gotta be kidding me!I can't even stand to look at an egg!Why would I like to have any part of it in my drink? Gotta be something better than that to put in my drink!!As a matter of fact,don't put anything in my drink,I'll just have it straight!!! From Tucson,Arizona,be safe and keep it between the white lines.

Next Article