Expert Advice About Which Mixers You Should Never Use

• semaphore27@live.com posted 1 year ago

I only go out for drinks a few times a year and never order more than one or two drinks when I do go out, so when I go out I'm going to have my gin and tonic or my margarita and not worry about it. At home I'll sometimes have one beer or a glass of wine. Maybe if I was a heavy or frequent drinker, I'd worry about this topic, but it's kind of like the two or three normal-sized pieces of birthday cake I might have in a year--they're not going to break the bank.

• jpenellicheffgmailcom842460362 posted 1 year ago

Como este Davin Pratt pode ter algo a ensinar se nao sabe nada sobre o assunto,nao sabe a diferença entre os ingredientes agua de coco e creme de leite .
    Muitos profissionais compartilham informaçoes deste site , muitos profissionais gostariam de ter um artigo publicado na Liquor.com , e voces dao espaço p alguem que nao tem noçao .

• bigabigd75.25c1d posted 1 year ago

What is the point of this article? To say that mixed drinks have sugar in them? Wow, what a revelation. This whole piece was demeaning and assumes that I don't know the first thing about the beverages that I drink. Gimme a break.

• rcminsa posted 1 year ago

I have enjoyed and have learned to make a great drink from Austin Texas.
    Vince Young Steak House has a drink called a Brunt Orange Martini.
    Vodka, Pama (pomegranate liqueur) and fresh orange juice. It is really great, not as sweet as a Cosmo.

• strongjohn10856 posted 1 year ago

I have to agree with the commentators that this really is a rather pointless and ill-informed article. Maybe if presented as ways to reduce one's caloric intake while still imbibing that would be one thing. It's as if the only thing one should care about is calories. The "Never" in the article title is certainly overstated silliness.

• Tatoosh posted 1 year ago

Today's tonic water is not the same as the original tonic water. In fact, malaria was a serious threat in the tropical climates and there was a demand for anything that helped with it.

The original medicinal version was much stronger and the British took to adding gin to it to make it more palatable. So the origin of the gin and tonic is not the sweetened tonic water of today, but the much more potent tonic water of many years ago. And the gin they used was not some namby pamby version but also had a very distinct juniper flavor.

The old gin and tonic was definitely medicinal - and that is where the legend started.

• Texasbear posted 2 years ago

This is really a stupid article. I only agree with one thing. Why order diet soda as a mixer anyway? To me that's like going to your favorite fast food restaurant and getting a big greasy burger and large fries with a diet soda. It isn't going to matter.

As we all know, Liquor and other alcoholic beverages are made of sugar and they will break down into fat and calories anyway. So why does it matter if you have a cola or tonic with the mixed drink. Unless you are drinking everyday, another problem all together, then a few White Russians made correctly aren't going to affect your waist line any more than an indulgence at an ice cream shop. I prefer a top shelf Burbon with a splash of water on the rocks myself. If you are going to drink alcohol, it's best to buy top shelf brands, not the cheap crap. Unless you are drinking like a fish. I drink maybe one or two drinks a month. I use to drink a lot of beer, but I'm older now and alcohol doesn't mix with a medication I'm taking.

The key here is moderation.

• cccarresq@aol.com posted 2 years ago

You can and should make scotch and soda with soda water (I prefer a siphon, myself) but it is incorrect to say that it should be used in a gin and tonic...that is why it is called what it is. The latter is a British drink adapted for use in the former colonies, particularly India. Tonic water contains quinine, an antidote of sorts to Malaria. Plus, the drink just would not taste the same without it!

• cccarresq@aol.com posted 2 years ago

You can and should make scotch and soda with soda water (I prefer a Co2 siphon) but it is incorrect to say that it should be used in a gin and tonic...that is why it is called what it is. The latter is a British drink adapted for use in the former colonies, particularly India. Tonic water contains quinine, an antidote of sorts to Malaria. Plus, the drink just would not taste the same without it!

• Yourdirtymind1 posted 2 years ago

@stephen.stempo, good on ya for being a bit skeptical! This is one of those things that is said so often that people take it as fact. In reality, there is no good medical research that shows that there are any significant ill effects from second or third generation artificial sweeteners. The data just doesn't support that conclusion. It's part of what many refer to as the "naturalistic fallacy". And the study that the article mentions the secondary effect that "diet soda mixed with alcohol may lead to faster intoxication than if you were to consume regular soda in your mixed drink" has been determined to just be a byproduct of the fact that it contains no calories. Just as you get drunker on an empty stomach, drinking a non-nutritive sweetener will obviously and purposely provide you with fewer calories than a regular soda. A well-constructed study would have noted the difference in effect between artificially sweetened soda, and unsweetened beverages (with controls for consumption, of course).

@arthur.marriott, the quinine content in tonic water is so low that none of the adverse effects (either true or untrue) associated with quinine can be assigned to it. You'd have to drink 20 liters at once to even reach the quinine level used in safely prescribed quinine preparations. They also fail to note in the article that while tonic does sometimes contain sugar (apart from the sugar-free versions), the content is at least 20% lower than other sodas, so there is some advantage.

Overall, the article seems to suggest some lazy reporting on the part of liquor.com.