The Secrets Behind the Perfect Irish Coffee

The ideal Irish Coffee is a sum of its parts.

• ssparkyroadrunnercom848500898 posted 1 year ago

Yep BV is the best I have been going there since I was stationed at Treasure Island. Oh Paul, if they are all wrong, where is your bar?

• julie mowry posted 1 year ago

i make our irish coffee the same way except for warming the glass. thanks for the tip.

• escott71867.4883ce posted 2 years ago

@reyyer Yes, you do want to go to SF and visit this bar!
    For all others scrutinizing the recipe, I think these are very close estimates as to the amounts also account for some volume loss of alcohol due to evaporation. I think it is likely that Paul has poured the 3 to 4 million because he's not just making one at a time, he lines them up on the counter, 13, maybe even 20 glasses at a time. I've seen this guy in action and took video just so I could make it exactly at home. He is a master of Irish Coffee!

• thally posted 2 years ago

Most of the time I prefer my whiskey and coffee separate but when I decide to combine them, this is the way to go. I don't agree that particularly good coffee or whiskey improves the drink by much and I would halve the amount of sugar. A heated glass and good cream properly whipped and carefully poured are essential though. The barman interviewed could only have made three million Irish Coffees if he made one every three minutes, twelve hours a day, six days a week, every week for 37 years. I don't think that is possible without doing yourself mental mischief...

• reyyer posted 2 years ago

Hell, it makes me want to go SF.......

• randy.c4c09e7 posted 2 years ago

Precisely this recipe is wrong. It probably still tastes OK (it's coffee after all) but the proportions are off. It should be 4 ounces of coffee. That will accommodate the 1.3 ounces of whiskey and a nice float of cream almost to the rim of the Libbey 6-ounce Georgian glass.

• archcoach.975d37 posted 2 years ago

How do you get 8 oz's of liquid into a 6 oz glass?