Can Dos Equis Replace the Most Interesting Man?

We don’t always report on beer commercials, but when we do …

A few months ago, the beer-loving world mourned the end of an era, as Dos Equis announced it was parting ways with Jonathan Goldsmith, the silver fox who launched a thousand memes as the beer brand’s Most Interesting Man in the World spokeman. A long-form video—half homage, half farewell—showed The Most Interesting Man in the World blasting off to Mars, nevermore to be seen again on Earth.

Today, Dos Equis introduces The Most Interesting Man’s successor. And (perhaps not surprisingly) the latest incarnation, played by European actor Augustin Legrand, looks suspiciously like a younger version of his predecessor, complete with a lion-like mane, furrowed brow and salt-and-pepper beard. In his debut appearance, we see him chased down a back alley in a linen suit while clutching a fez-wearing piglet, accompanied by a leggy blond in a sparkly evening dress. He karate-chops a coconut, husk and all. He spelunks in an abandoned amusement-park ride, carrying a burning torch. He dives into a deep well to rescue … a soccer ball. And then he’s seen removing his space helmet as he emerges from a rocket ship—a nod to the old Man’s departure.

“The new Most Interesting Man is a man of our times,” states the company’s press release. “And in this first glimpse, he shares hints of being a resourceful rough-and-tumble guy who remains a jack-of-all-trades hero that one would expect from the man bearing this infamous title.”

Industry journal AdWeek shares in the skepticism of many Dos Equis customers who vocally protested the former Man’s retirement. In the video, the story notes, “the bartender [asks] Legrand literally if he’s as interesting as his predecessor. Dos Equis is no doubt, deep down, wondering the same thing.”

Dos Equis plans to release a full-length commercial in October highlighting more of the new Man’s exploits. In a bid to appeal to millennial consumers, the campaign will also include Snapchat stories and tie-ins to College Football Game Day.

It remains to be seen whether Goldsmith’s version of The Man was actually an irreplaceable icon or whether the millions of fans who vocally protested his ouster will warm to the replacement model. In the meantime, stay thirsty.

Appears in 1 Collection

• nhamlen.4f65c posted 2 months ago

These comments are beyond cruel, what are you thinking writing comments that can hurt a real person who has a face with character, and i think that what they may have been going for. You all that made these comments are very ugly people.

• enubuscarrcom700126824 posted 3 months ago

It was a monstrous error to replace Goldsmith with this big eared piece of crap. Your beer will suffer for that Madison Ave blunder!

• jynigez3721@att.net posted 3 months ago

jynigez sorry the new guy don't even keep my attention,I like the gray hair fox,its what make older man have sex appeal.I would buy what ever he's selling, please bring him back.

• lexus000coxnet1173749368 posted 4 months ago

yukey who is this bulldog face with huge ears? I WILL STOP SELLING DOS EQUIS IN MY BUSINESS, I WANT THE OTHER MAN BACK

• jspackle1 posted 4 months ago

The new "most interesting man in the world" is a poser. For lack of a better word. Come up with something new rather than try to replace the irreplaceable. In my opinion

• plfellows.9bcd7b posted 5 months ago

Sorry, The new guy doesn't embody the most interesting man in the world. Far from it. Older men have always been more interesting . Period. The new guy isn't even handsome. Big Mistake!!!!

• TammyWillcutt@yahoo.com posted 7 months ago

If I were you, I'd re-think that decision. The new guy Im sure is a very nice guy, but no sex-appeal there. There's something about an handsome older man! He has experience, knowledge and Mr. Goldsmith has the sex appeal, clean, rugged look. I am a middle-age woman and I know a few things, believe me and the others, stay with Goldsmith!!!

• sapphire5654.5660 posted 7 months ago

Are you kidding me? This new guy doesn't hold a candle next to Mr. Goldsmith. He's not even handsome! Mr. Goldsmith has rugged good looks and sex appeal. You are making a huge mistake by replacing him!

• jywharffyahoocom490154027 posted 8 months ago

I'll be honest Mr. Goldsmith IS way more handsome than this guy. He is most distinguished & I guess you'd say eye catching! I'll throw you a good one. My teenaged granddaughter has Always wanted to meet Goldsmith!
    This guy...here...doesn't have IT! Sorry!

• jywharffyahoocom490154027 posted 8 months ago

I'll be honest Mr. Goldsmith IS way moe handsome than this guy. He is most distinguished & I guess you'd say eye catching! I'll throw you a good one. My teenaged granddaughter has Always wanted to meet Goldsmith!
    This guy...here...doesn't have IT! Sorry!

Next Article