Behind the Drink: The Negroni

Recipes: Negroni
Locations: Florence

• alxxngh.6201 posted 1 month ago

Gary Regan in his book THE JOY OF MIXOLOGY explains that the three ingredients should be equal. After emphasizing this a bit, he then admits that he developed what he calls the Valentino (IIRC) which is more gin than Campari & Sweet Vermouth. This is what I usually make: a 7 count of gin (Tanqueray) & 4 count each of both Campari & vermouth. If I have no orange for a peel, I'll add a few drops of Regan's Orange Bitters. I can drink those 'till the cows come home or I pass out, whichever comes first.

• jimwoodmtgmailcom1022266918 posted 6 months ago

I'm always surprised when an American says they like the Negroni. The flavor profile tends to the bitter side of the pallet, and in my experience, Americans don't like to venture much outside of the realm of sweet.

• thomgreatspiritsinccom24207637 posted 7 months ago

I've got to agree with Spanky. This drink is nasty. This is the second drink I have tried with Campari and the first was equally disgusting. I washed the taste away with a good ol Bourbon and Coke.

• Spanky posted 4 years ago

You are correct, that the Gin and Vermouth will be used.
    I guess the Campari will make for a nice decor on the shelf. ;)

Thanks for acknowledging and replying to a "negative" comment.
    I like one who can take criticism well.

• Liquor.com posted 4 years ago

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the Negroni. It is one of our absolute favorites, but Campari can be an acquired taste. We'd encourage you to try it again—you can play around with the proportions a bit to better suit your palate. That said, you didn't waste $54—gin, Campari and sweet vermouth can each be used in hundreds of different cocktails. Try searching http://liquor.com/recipes/ for some inspiration.

• Spanky posted 4 years ago

I went out this Friday and purchased all the ingredients.
    After spending $55, I just realized that I had wasted $54.
    The drink was disgusting, but the whole orange was great, to get the horrid taste out of my mouth.

Liquor.c0m you should be ashamed of yourself for publishing this.

• carmen pitti posted 4 years ago