A Sad “Adios” to the Most Interesting Man

We don’t always cry when we’re writing the news. But when we do, it’s for this guy.

Dos Equis recently announced they’re parting ways with Jonathan Goldsmith, the 70-something actor who rose to international stardom as the brand’s Most Interesting Man in the World spokesperson. Goldsmith spent more than 50 years as a character actor on classic TV shows like The Rockford Files, Gunsmoke, Murder, She Wrote and Dynasty, as well as movies like the Clint Eastwood film Hang ‘Em High. But well into his seventies, he captured the hearts of a whole new generation of fans with his portrayal of the suave silver fox who didn’t always drink beer, but when he did, well, you know the rest.

Apparently, even impressively bearded, sexy gents are not immune to the ravages of ageism. Media speculation is rampant that, after a wildly successful nine-year run, Goldsmith is due to be replaced by a younger model. “Culture has changed very dramatically,” Dos Equis vice president of marketing Andrew Katz tells USA Today. “Our millennial drinker has changed quite dramatically, and the competition has only exploded with the advent of craft [beer]. We just want to make sure that the [Most Interesting Man] story evolves.”

There’s one last round of commercials featuring everyone’s favorite bronzed lothario, one that lets his legion of admirers say their final goodbyes. He’s embarking on a trip to a place no man, interesting or otherwise, has ever traveled before. Will his gorgeous co-astronaut serve him a Dos Equis upon their landing on Mars? Dos Equis brass declined to comment, and Goldsmith was quoted as saying only, “Stay thirsty, my friends.”

Update: Dos Equis announces a new Most-Interesting Man. (But how can you replace a legend?)

• nwrider55 posted 1 week ago

What were they drinking when they replaced the foxy guy with a younger, far-from charming or appealing guy...and by the way, I'm not interested in the new most interesting guy at all!!!!

• jpm29803.e0f97b1 posted 1 month ago

The new ad guy is out of his league. He certainly isn't interesting at all and needs a bath!

• powermagic55.994d7b8 posted 3 months ago

A complete disappointment removing J.Goldsmith for that lump was a total disaster.
    If your going to say your replacing J.Goldsmith for a younger model. Than by all means bring on a much younger sexy and classy man. The new guy looks way older and definitely has no charm and charisma or class. I use to love to see Goldsmith. I couldn't wait for the commercial to come on. I just don't get it. To bad so sad.

• jhreynoldsiv.7d55f posted 3 months ago

The marketing folks blew it on this one. If they wanted to retire the actor then they should have retired the character. This new guy misses the mark by a mile. It's a shame, those commercials were "interesting".

• dfruges.d0a41 posted 3 months ago

I think the idea of a replacement was a Marketing disaster. The new guy has no charisma at all. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think the parrallel to KFC Colonel Sanders is appropriate. KFC has tried about five actors and the only one that worked was Norm Crosby.

• banditdog76aolcom313180319 posted 4 months ago

Do you really choose your beer based on the commercial? I think Dos Equis nailed it. The time was right.

• kellicaudillgmailcom466421339 posted 4 months ago

Nothing against the new guy but he has nothing on Mr. Goldsmith. The commercials were fun and even better because he was an older gentleman and shows you can be sexy and interesting at any age. I hope Mr. Goldsmith finds a great gig and we get to see him again.

• Winterhawk posted 4 months ago

As a fairly interesting 70 year vet, I will tell you I have drunk my LAST Dos Equis. No one can replace Mr. Goldsmith, especially the jerkweed they are using today. Adios Dos Aquis! From now on when I reach for a beer, it will be Corona or Shiner Bock.

• cash_prophets_8608 posted 4 months ago

The new guy is creepy....get the old guy back.....did you see what happened to colonal sanders?...it's just like remaking Scarface...leave it be!.

• debdeb224 posted 4 months ago

Very poor decision...Mr. Goldsmith was a distinguished spokesman for your brand. I looked forward to the new commercials. His replacement has ruined "the most interesting" storyline. I do not even watch your commercials any longer...I turn the channel. What a shame, what a BAD marketing decision:-(